Thoughts from the mountains of my mind. Sit back and relax for awhile.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Termination-er

I came into work this morning to find the rest of the group talking about something that had happened yesterday after I left. I get invited to look at a few emails to explain what's going on...and I see lists of employees we are letting go. Now I know I wasn't one of them (they would have told me the day before not to come back) but it still hit home. I thought about how easily it could have been me.



I have been laid off before - twice actually - so I know I would survive if it had happened. But if you've ever lost a job, you know that feeling you get when it happens. The ground seems to open underneath you and then you get that feeling of shock. You just seemed wrapped in a blanket: sounds are muted, things around you seem unreal. It's a common human response. You just have to ride it out. Then pick yourself up, look over your options, choose one, and move on.

And our Christmas Party...excuse me - Holiday Gala - is Saturday. Will any of the employees who were let go show up? All of this just makes me think of a saying I believe in: 'Expect the best, prepare for the worst.'



********************************



My written exam was way too easy last night. It was 20 questions taken exactly from our previous 8 quizzes. He didn't even mix up the order of the multiple choice answers. I'm almost positive I got a 100% on it. The teacher handed out our final lab which we will be doing in the next two weeks. He split the class in half for each week, but if my lab partner and I do the lab and have him check it one evening when he's there he'll mark it off as completed. This lab is so incredibly simple we should have it done in 10 minutes.



As mentioned in the first part, my Holiday Gala is Saturday. I've decided to attend this year (we aren't having one the next few years because of our financial situation). I've also decided to wear my tuxedo. Hell, it hangs in my closet and I never get to wear it. I think it will be used at least once in 2006 (the last time we used out tuxes was on a cruise in 2005).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home